news

News

Deconstructing Dinner: Eggs
Interviews with the experts

January 12, 2006
CJLY Kootenay Co-op Radio

Click here to listen to the archived show!

On today's show, the program looks at how 98% of eggs in British Columbia produced, and what other methods compose the remaining 2%. We discuss the state of the egg industry in this province and investigate into the methods of education the industry utilizes to inform the consumer.

Guests

Bruce Passmore - Farm Animal Welfare Coordinator for the Vancouver Humane Society, Coordinator of the Chicken Out! Project, a joint effort between the Humane Society and the Canadian Coalition for Farm Animals.

Fred Reid - Olera Farm in Abbotsford. Member of the Certified Organic Associations of British Columbia, and you may recognize the name as a key opponent in the heated debates that took place in this province only a few years ago between organic egg producers and the BC Egg Marketing Board

Karl Hann - Biota Farm in Abbotsford, biodynamic farmer and egg producer. Green Party candidate in the Abbotsford riding during the 2004 federal election. Karl was born and raised in Romania and has been living and farming in Canada for 20 years.

Maria Castro - Quennell Lake Poultry, a small family farm in the community of Cedar on Vancouver Island. Steering Committee of the Beyond Factory Farming Coalition (a campaign of the Council of Canadians). A director of Rare Breeds Canada. Steering Committee of the Agriculture Caucus of the Canadian Environmental Network. Food Link Nanaimo.

Peter Whitfield - Operations Manager BC Egg Producers (BC Egg Marketing Board).

Click here to listen to the archived show!

Deconstructing Dinner is a weekly show covering food and it's production. The show airs live in Kootenay, BC and through the internet every Thursday at 6pm to 7pm. All shows are archived online after the show.